Lingfield Equine Level 1 Syllabus
Syllabus – Level 1 fee £114 (or 3 x £38)
Considered to be more comprehensive than any equine distance learning course available at this level. All undertaken by distance learning. Split into 7 modules. Based on the BHS theory for BHS Stages
- Equine psychology and behaviour.
- Care and requirements of the stabled horse.
- Modern practices and general care relating stress.
- Modern bedding materials, their management and uses. +*
- Importance of routine relating to a stable yard and stabled horses.
- Safety in stable, yard and when handling, riding and caring for equines.
- Health & Safety in relation to equine management.
- Points of the Horse+* Breeds and Types+* Colours and Markings+*
- Buying a new horse/pony for the 1st or 2nd time buyer.
- What to do when your new horse arrives.
- Passports for horses. Approved Livery Yards.
- Livery Yard guidance.
- Sample livery contracts.
- Reasons for shoeing & regular farrier visits.
- Problems caused by irregular attention to feet.
- Grooming – Reasons and principles.
- Strapping and quartering.
- Signs of Health and Ill Health.
- When to call the vet. The horses relationship with the vet.
- 1st Aid. Know the Norm.
- Minor injuries and ailments – modern products for injuries+*
- Feeding and Watering – Rules and explanations.
- Types of Feed and their uses
- Cereals / straights mixes & cubes/nuts – what to use and when.
- Feeding for light work.
- Manufacturer’s advertising leaflets+*
- Feed products +* Names and what they mean.
- Hay, Haylage, Horsehage – the differences – use and storage.
- Care of the horse at grass.
- Fields and Paddocks suitable for horses and ponies.
- Worming – modern approaches, lab tests.+*
- Tack & tack fitting – nosebands/martingales etc.+*
- Rugs and rugging – fitting of rugs in detail.
- Bits & bitting. Types and reasons for use. Importance of fit.+*
- Care of tack. Problems cause by ill-fitting tack.
- Saddles & saddle fitting * in depth saddle fitting assignment.
- Practical: 30 minute Tack Session required – see below.
- Road Safety* courtesy.
- Preparation for road riding.
- Towing Trailers.
- Returning from a ride – Care of the hot horse – modern approaches+*
+* Denotes research project is also required & in Study Pack 4 a Tack Session with a local instructor is mandatory.
* The Lingfield Student Research folder is an online application filled with relevant articles and information.
Many of the above topics are covered in the recommended reading book for this course:
Points of the Horse & Ailments Lumps & Bumps charts are available from this web site. Buy both charts for reduced price.
Alternative books – especially useful for professional students:
- British Horse Society Complete Manual of Stable Management.
The practical session has been waived during the covid 19 lockdown.
The Practical Tack Session: To achieve a certificate, this practical session must be undertaken with a local instructor of your choice. The local qualified instructor must be to the required standard of BHSAI or equivalent ABRS / UKCC instructor. There is no alternative and this is mandatory for those aiming for a Certificate. Detailed information and paperwork/form for signature by the instructor will be sent with Study Pack 4. When you reach this stage, we can point you in the right direction to find names of instructors if you have had difficulty locating one.
To avoid undertaking this session you could upgrade to the combined programme containing
Levels 1 & 2 Fast Track courses.
Overseas Students must also undertake this practical session with a similarly qualified instructor. e.g. International Instructors Level 1 Qualification is equivalent to BHSAI.
See IGEQ for various international qualifications
Overseas students in countries where the International Group for Equine Qualifications or local qualifications system is not in place: If you cannot find anyone suitable to oversee your Tack Session or do not wish to gain a certificate/diploma we will send you a form to sign to say that you are waiving that certificate option and we will happily accept that you do not undertake the tack session but can complete the courses without certification.