Lingfield Equine Level 2 Syllabus
Syllabus – Level 2
Level 1 course is very comprehensive. It is inadvisable therefore to enrol directly onto Level 2 – it is suggested you look instead at the Intermediate Diplomas which is better value.
• Psychology further to Level 1.
• Farriers, Registration.
• Reasons for calling the farrier.
• Detailed structure of the lower leg and foot.
• Effects of hard ground and heavy going.
• Treating minor wounds.
• Common injuries and ailments – further to Level 1.
• Bandages and boots for protection.
• Grassland Management:
• Renovation & maintenance of pasture and buildings for equines.
• Making hay.
• Evaluation of hay making on small parcels of land.
• Analysis of soil structure and nutrients.
• General management.
• Worming – further to Level 1
• Watering and feeding further to Level 1
• How to provide a balanced diet
• Guides to light, moderate, medium work etc.
• Feeding for light to medium work.
• Lunging – brief info only
• Tack further to Level 1. Further care of saddlery
• Importance of daily routine
• Guidelines and importance of routine for running a small yard
• Daily, weekly, periodical & annual treatment, tasks and maintenance jobs
• Insurance for horse & rider
• Etiquette – rules and manners for Indoor and outdoor schools & warming up at shows
• Parking etiquette – horse boxes and trailers
Research projects throughout
Examples of Research Projects :
Latest products for wound treatment
Feeds by volume and weight
Prior theory revision required
- Worming & methods of maintaining low worm burdens in equines and on pasture
- Feeds: types of hard feed and their uses.
Vacuum Packed products – use and storage.
Various types of bedding materials such as hemp and methods/management.
- Buying and getting a second hand saddle fitted.
- Bit fitting
- Fitting bits and bridles and what to look for in poorly fitting bits and tack.
- Psychology & behaviour.
- Procedures for buying horses.
- Manual of Horsemanship from www.pcuk.org,
- Grassland Management for Horse & Pony Owners (BHS)
- Lingfield Wall Charts (buy both for £12) available here
- First Aid for Horse Owners.
Professional students – In addition to the above we suggest:
- the BHS Manual of Stable Management