Equine Care & Management Level 1
|Skill Level||Equivalent to Further Education Level 1 - 2|
|No. of Units / Modules||7|
|Total Hours||150 - 250 dependent on student input. Average 6 months @ 6 hrs a week.|
|Course Duration||Totally flexible. No completion date.|
|No Attendance or Study Weeks||Totally flexible. No completion date.|
Equine Care & Management Level 1
Level 1 Equine care & management distance learning step by step the easy way.
Are you ready to broaden your knowledge on horse care?
- Enrol online – start immediately. No waiting – get going today.
- Work at your own speed in your own time – no rush, no hassle.
- Take as long as you like to complete.
- East to read, non text book language.
- Free personal tutor on call throughout.
- No fixed completion dates.
Weekly horse riders, non-owners / updating for experienced owners / sharing / prospective horse owners / first or second time owners / career changers / home education.
Mature Students welcomed. Become a more confident and knowledgeable horse carer.
Lingfield’s Level 1 equine care & management course really is value for money – it covers far more equine related information than expected. Considered the most comprehensive equine care & management distance learning course available in the UK at this level.
7 modules with assignments, multiple learning tasks and research projects.
These equine management courses give a much broader, more overall and worldly view of most topics – rather than just providing the usual text book unit by unit approach to learning required for professional qualifications. They have been added to and updated over the years so are now even more comprehensive than originally.
Many who viewed this course enrolled instead on the Intermediate Diploma
Friendly one to one tutor for every student. We do not simply offer online assessment – your personal tutor is there to help throughout your course.
Optional final assignment for Certification.
This equine distance learning course is based on the BHS Stages 1 to 2 theory. For more in depth information look at the Intermediate Diploma programme.
Education, Training & Employment:
Ideal for possible/pre Neet youngsters with school/training support – shared course option – see below. Useful for employers for traineeships or apprenticeships with a training company such as Keits or Equine Learning.
Based on BHS Stages & ABRS theory
- All completed by home study.
- Packed full of interesting and detailed professionaly produced information.
- Horse ownership not required. BHS membership not required.
- Work at your own speed in your own time. Print your course material if you wish.
- The only equine care & management distance learning course with completely flexible completion date.
- Option to achieve a Lingfield Certificate on completion of one final assignment.
- All certificates with Lingfield Correspondence courses are entirely optional.
Free friendly personal tutor support
- You can even call on your tutor for advice after you finish the course (your own personal help line!)
- Your tutor works with you to help you achieve results and your final certificate.
- Have as much or as little contact with your tutor as you wish.
- Your tutor is there for you to help and advice whenever you need her. If you have dyslexia or learning difficulties please let your tutor know – only if they are aware can they assist you.
This programme will help you :
- Update your equine skills – the right way
- Update or broaden your management knowledge
- Work towards an Intermediate Diploma in Equine Care & Management
- Gain certification & proof of your equine management knowledge
- Gain an insight into professional career development in the equine industry
- Start learning today, just pay & get going
- Total flexibility with no start or finish dates
- Professionally produced by industry experts
- Presented in bite sized chunks for easy learning
- Ideal for the less experienced riders & those with busy lives
- Easy to read in plain English avoiding the usual equestrian text book language
- A fast track option through Level 1 for the more experienced owners – subject to terms.
Should I take the Intermediate Diploma instead?
Before enrolling on this course why not look at upgrading to the subsidised ID programme at £348 / £58 a month. it offers the full Level 1 AND 2 courses for less than the cost of the Level 2 course! …. That’s a no brainer for most people.
- Equine psychology and behaviour.
- Care and requirements of the stabled horse.
- Modern practices and general care relating stress.
- Modern bedding materials, their management and uses. +*
- Importance of routine relating to a stable yard and stabled horses.
- Safety in stable, yard and when handling, riding and caring for equines.
- Health & Safety in relation to equine management.
- Points of the Horse+* Breeds and Types+* Colours and Markings+*
- Buying a new horse/pony for the 1st or 2nd time buyer.
- What to do when your new horse arrives.
- Passports for horses. Approved Livery Yards.
- Livery Yard guidance.
- Sample livery contracts.
- Reasons for shoeing & regular farrier visits.
- Problems caused by irregular attention to feet.
- Grooming – Reasons and principles.
- Strapping and quartering.
- Signs of Health and Ill Health.
- When to call the vet. The horses relationship with the vet.
- 1st Aid. Know the Norm.
- Minor injuries and ailments – modern products for injuries+*
- Feeding and Watering – Rules and explanations.
- Types of Feed and their uses
- Cereals / straights mixes & cubes/nuts – what to use and when.
- Feeding for light work.
- Manufacturer’s advertising leaflets+*
- Feed products +* Names and what they mean.
- Hay, Haylage, Horsehage – the differences – use and storage.
- Care of the horse at grass.
- Fields and Paddocks suitable for horses and ponies.
- Worming – modern approaches, lab tests.+*
- Tack & tack fitting – nosebands/martingales etc.+*
- Rugs and rugging – fitting of rugs in detail.
- Bits & bitting. Types and reasons for use. Importance of fit.+*
- Care of tack. Problems cause by ill-fitting tack.
- Saddles & saddle fitting * in depth saddle fitting assignment.
- Practical: 30 minute Tack Session required – see below.
- Road Safety* courtesy.
- Preparation for road riding.
- Towing Trailers.
- Returning from a ride – Care of the hot horse – modern approaches+*
+* Denotes research project is also required & in Study Pack 4 a Tack Session with a local instructor is mandatory.
* The Lingfield Student Research folder is an online application filled with relevant articles and information.
Note: Those who viewed this course invariably enrol on the ‘Intermediate Diplomas’.
The ‘ID’ programmes include both the Level 1 & Level 2 courses and the fee is very little more. This is because the ID Fees are subsidised by Lingfield Correspondence.
Many of the above topics are covered in the recommended reading book for this course:
Points of the Horse & Ailments Lumps & Bumps charts are available from this web site. Buy both charts for reduced price.
Alternative books – especially useful for professional students:
- Riding and Stable Management Stage 1 by Hazel Reed
- British Horse Society Complete Manual of Stable Management.
The Practical Tack Session: To achieve a certificate, this practical session must be undertaken with a local instructor of your choice. The local qualified instructor must be to the required standard of BHSAI or equivalent ABRS instructor. There is no alternative and this is mandatory for those aiming for a Certificate. Detailed information and paperwork/form for signature by the instructor will be sent with Study Pack 4. When you reach this stage, we can point you in the right direction to find names of instructors if you have had difficulty locating one.
Overseas Students must also undertake this with a similarly qualified instructor. e.g. International Instructors Level 1 Qualification is equivalent to BHSAI.
Overseas students in countries where the IGEQ or local qualifications system is not in place: If you cannot find anyone suitable to oversee your Tack Session or do not wish to gain a certificate/diploma we will send you a form to sign to say that you are waiving that certificate option and we will happily accept that you do not undertake the tack session but can complete the courses without certification.
It's easy to enrol...