Specialist Course SC4 Horse First Aid + Ailments – home study
|Fee £58||Course fee|
|Difficulty||Skill Level 1-2|
|Number of units/modules||2 Modules: 1 delivered on enrolment.|
|Total Hours||12-15 dependent on student input|
|Duration||Totally flexible - no fixed completion dates|
|Practical Activities/Research||Various hands on activities & research to undertake at home or at the stables|
|Certificate - optional||On completion of final Assessment Paper. Personally signed by author/tutor & posted to your home.|
First Aid for Horses + common ailments for horse owners.
A search for similar home study courses shows that they are few and far between – especially at such a viable fee. The course offers comprehensive coverage and with multiple choice answers to assessments we are able to keep the fee low. We provide personal tutor contact – we do not simply offer online assessments.
There are plenty of courses covering human first aid but courses on how to treat your horse with first aid are rare indeed. The uptake on this Lingfield course to date has been extremely good – proving just how much a course like this is needed.
Since introduction in May 2017, our new course has been expanded and has increased in content and length. This new and comprehensive equine first aid course now covers even more ailments. Click on Syllabus above to check the length and content for yourself.
The course has been written & produced by Veterinary Professional – Veterinary Nurse and Trainer Emma Dalton. Emma is a professional trainer within the equine veterinary industry and has written this distance learning course specifically for the leisure horse owner.
Lingfield provides this course at a specially low fee. It will increase in due course to bring it into line with other similar specialist courses.
The course is split into two Sections, and aims to provide you with easy to read and absorb information enabling you to confidently treat your horse in an emergency.
No need to panic anymore. Just keep calm and follow the instructions in this course. Emma has provided hands on activities throughout the course to make sure you are confident should that emergency arise.
No where else will you find a distance learning course like this at such good value. Do a search – there is nothing like it.
- Information on how to treat wounds both large and small.
- Applying poultices and bandages – how and when.
- What should be in your equine first aid box.
- What is normal for your horse? Good health and ill health
- Legal aspects of treating equines with first aid
- When to call the vet and what the vet needs to know
- Preventive health care, Common illnesses and diseases.
- Practical application.
- See full syllabus for detail.
- 2 modules – divided into 1/3 and 2/3 of the content
- Multiple learning tasks and activities
- Optional tutor assessed paper for Certification
- Admin fee for optional tutor assessed paper £15 / £19 by Paypal/overseas
To complete assessment paper you will require Adobe Acrobat Reader.
NOTE: This course may in future be offered as part of a Lingfield Intermediate Diploma programme. The Intermediate Diploma will provide the majority of the theory knowledge for those taking BHS Stage 1 & 2. ID’s offer subsidised fees & option of 4 certificates.
Tutor: Emma Dalton
- What Is First Aid
- How to Manage in An Emergency
- Situations Requiring First Aid
- Classification of Emergencies
- When to Call the Vet.
- What is considered serious enough to warrant calling the vet. What to do in the meantime.
- What the vet needs to know
- Knowledge of what is normal
- Temperature, Pulse and Breathing
- Signs of: Health, Ill Health, and being Off Colour
- Restraining the Horse in Emergencies/for Treatment
- Handling and Transportation
- First Aid Box
- Types of Wound – what to do and how to treat them
- What to do if a wound is too serious to treat
- *Recognition of lameness
- Washing Wounds
- Tubbing & Fomenting
- Identifying the basics of the
- Digestive System*
- Skeletal Frame*
- Points of the Horse*
- Tendons and Ligaments of the lower leg*
- Basic Treatment of Lameness*
- Worm Control- most types of parasites included
- Flies and fly spray
- Sweet Itch
- Condition Scoring
Equine metabolic syndrome
- *Research required
- We also include an informative section called How to Study. Useful for those who have not studied for a while!
It's easy to enrol...