Subsidised Train Your Own Horse + Equine Management
|Skill Level||Skill Level = Further Education Level|
|No. of Units / Modules||9|
|Total Hours||3-6 hours a week ridden / study time. (Dependent on student input say 5-10 months)|
|Course Duration||Totally flexible - no completion dates. Contact required periodically to maintain an active course.|
|No Attendance or Study Weeks required||Conducted by home study & Riding your own horse|
|Subsidised Fee - In full or instalments||Instalment option: UK Bank standing order only see dropdown arrow on right|
Train Your Own Horse
+ Equine Management course – 2 for one offer
2 x courses – one combined enrolment. Subsidised introductory fee: £210
What do I get?
‘Training your Own Horse’ course, plus a comprehensive ‘Equine Care & Management’ course
- Work at your own speed
- In your own time
- No fixed completion dates
Gain better riding skills
Improve your Dressage scores
Broaden your knowledge on management & training
- The rider with a new horse
- The horse that needs re-training
- Those who ride & train alone at home
- The rider with limited funds for lessons
Friends will notice an improvement in your riding and in your horse.
This course is considered the most comprehensive equine care & management + riding/schooling distance learning programme available in the UK at this level. The Lingfield equine management courses are based on BHS Stages 1 – 3 theory.
You’ll learn detailed information on the finer points of the aids and how to improve yourself as a rider. The course explains about Muscle Memory & Hidden Aids, in fact it reaches the parts many courses don’t teach.
On top of this is the Equine Management course is in fact far more comprehensive than any we have seen at this standard and includes the majority of the theory information required for the professional BHS Stage 1 & a good portion of Stage 2 course.
Professionally produced by experts – yet offering a friendly and informal step by step approach.
We provide practical personal tutor contact – we do not simply offer online assessment. This programme has the added advantage of optional one to one riding video assessment & coaching with your tutor. There are other online video coaching tutors out there, but they are not free. Few courses are as comprehensive and also include free video coaching with an experienced senior BHS coach.
What’s in it for me?
- Enrol online now
- Immediate start on fee payment.
- Automatic receipt of first course file.
- Full & detailed course in 2 modules “Sections”
- Personal access to online Lingfield research folder
- Optional Certificate available on successful completion of assignments and projects.
- Certificates incur £15 admin fees on completion
- One to One tutor throughout your course
- Free Video Coaching as and when you require
- No fixed completion dates – Lingfield is we believe the only equine course provider to offer this
- No rush – no hassle
- Take a break when life gets hectic
- Pick it up again when things are more settled
- Flexibility to work at your own speed in your own time
- Easy to read and learn from
- Written in plain English with a non text book approach
Nine modules which you work on at your own speed. Dozens of interesting tasks, projects and assignments with optional assignments for Certification & Diploma. To complete the few written assignments you will need the free app Adobe Acrobat Reader – which most people have already.
This programme provides the student with a genuine and workmanlike knowledge of riding, training & management as opposed to providing a more restrictive career pathway for students whose aim is purely to achieve exam results and qualifications.
This is for real life riders in real life situations with horses who are not all the same, nor kept the same and riders whose time may be limited and as varied as their horses characters and lifestyles.
Check the fully detailed syllabus for each course below
Level 1 Equine Care & Management
How to improve your horse & your techniques?
- Are you experienced – but your horse needs a few tweeks
- Do you get bored with just going round and round the arena?
- Does your horse need more training?
- Are you busy with limited time to organise regular lessons?
- Not sure of the best way to go about training your horse?
- Do you get confused with different advice from others at the yard?
- Do you have a young horse and need new ideas on how best to train?
- Would you like to improve your riding or your dressage scores?
- Would you love to have someone regularly check your training & riding by video?
Let’s face it we could all do with a bit of help now and again – and that applies to both you and your horse. What’s more, with this course, you don’t necessarily need an arena to ride in, or a school in which to train.
We understand that not everyone has access to schooling areas. You can overcome this with our help. This course will help you whether you ride in a field, out on the common or the moor, or in an arena or indoor school. It has suggestions and ideas for everyone whether you have an arena or not.
To help improve, and learn from the course, simply jot down anything new to build your own schooling/training tips file on your phone or laptop and be ready to use them to help your horse and others.
- You need only practice in very small bite sized chunks though – so don’t worry if you are a busy person.
Free Riding Tips (before you even start the course!!):
- Always end on a good note when riding. This is really important for both of you, even if you have not yet mastered the new exercise or movement.
- If it seems to be going wrong or not working, just a stride or two of what you are aiming for is good enough at the end.
- If that seems to be beyond you both at the moment, change to working on something you know that you and your horse do well. This way you are more likely to finish your session with that and can both leave feeling happier. Now reward your horse as well as yourself.
- If the earlier exercise didn’t work today you can try again tomorrow – but remember – you must always finish today on a good note.
- Why is that? If the last thing your horse remembers and ‘associates with’ when leaving the schooling area is a bad feeling from you, he or she is unlikely to be keen to repeat the exercise.
- If you would like to broaden your knowledge on equine psychology in relation to ‘association’, the Level 1 course material has plenty to help you on that topic.
- You can at any time contact Senara for advise on the way forwards if your horse is struggling to complete any movement or exercise.
Video coaching is included as an added optional bonus in this course – it’s free. It is not mandatory so only take this free offer up if you wish. Our highly qualified and experienced coach – Senara Caddy is here to help improve your techniques on a one to one basis.
Improve your techniques this year – why leave it for another year.
What’s in this combined course programme for me?
- Subsidised fees
- Enrol now – immediate start.
- Automatic receipt of course files.
- No waiting. Optional Certificates on completion.
The Entry requirements and benefits of this combined programme are:
2 courses for one subsidised enrolment fee.
The Syllabus for Level 1 course is shown below
This is the Syllabus for the Training course
The Level 1 course syllabus is full of depth and detail well beyond what might be expected at this level.
Our most popular course for leisure riders and career student. In fact, so confident are we that this is the best value course available at this level, we offer a refund if you show us a similar & more comprehensive course at the same level.
Keeping overheads low is one of our aims, this helps to keep our fees so low. We are professionals in the ever changing world of training. We provide courses which suite those who may not be aiming for a career in the equine world but want the benefit of the theory knowledge provided by professionally produced courses.
- Psychology and Behaviour. General care relating to stress.
- Care and Requirements of the stabled horse.
- Modern bedding materials & their uses + *
- Importance of Routine relating to a stable yard and stabled horses.
- Safety in stable, yard and when handling, riding and caring for equines.
- Health & Safety.
- Points of the Horse +* Breeds and Types +* Colours and Markings +*
- Buying a new horse/pony for the 1st or 2nd time buyer.
- Passports for horses. Approved Livery Yards.
- Livery Yard guidance.
- Sample contracts.
- Reasons for shoeing & regular farrier visits.
- Problems caused by irregular attention to feet.
- Grooming – Reasons and principles. Thorough Grooming, Strapping and Quartering.
- Signs of Health and Ill Health.
- When to call the vet. Your horses relationship with the vet.
- 1st Aid. Do you Know the Norm.
- Minor injuries and ailments – modern products for injuries*
- Feeding and Watering – Rules and explanations.
- Types of Feed and their uses
- Cereals and straights – what to use and when.
- Feeding for Light Work, Manufacturer’s advertising leaflets*
- Feed product +*names and what they mean
- Hay, Haylage, Horsehage etc – use and storage
- Care of the horse at grass.
- Fields and Paddocks suitable for horses and ponies.
- Worming – modern approaches, lab tests. 3 Year Worming programme
- Tack & tack fitting – nosebands/martingales etc.+*
- Rugs and rugging – fitting of rugs in detail.
- Bits & bitting. Types and reasons for use. Importance of fit.+*
- Care of tack. Problems cause by ill fitting tack.+*
- Saddles & saddle fitting * in depth saddle fitting assignment.
- Practical: 30 minute Tack Session – see below.
- Road Safety* courtesy.
- Preparation for road riding.
- Towing Trailers.
- Returning from a ride – Care of the hot horse – modern approaches
+* Denotes inclusion of research project.
* Denotes research project also required
Enrolled students may request access after 14 days to the online Lingfield Student Research Folder
Tack Session is easy and is completed to achieve a certificate / diploma.
- Students use a local instructor to oversee the session – it is not a test.
- With the motivated student the instructor could involve horse and rider.
- At the most basic however, it can be completed as a tack cleaning workshop in 30 minutes.
It's easy to enrol...