You are here: Home / Articles & Advice / I want to work with horses


I want to work with horses

I want to work with horses but hear I need qualifications!    Is that correct?

Not always but YES in many instances you do need qualifications.

So what is available and what sort of jobs can I do when qualified?

The system for gaining professional qualifications depends on the type of work you want to do in the end.

Working in a ‘hands on’ capacity with horses offers 3 main routes of training with 3 different awarding body qualifications.  There is also however, the degree course route which is naturally a more academic and doesn’t necessarily achieve ‘hands on’ work qualifications.

  1. The BHS and ABRS
  2. The National Diploma
  3. The British Grooms Association
  4. The Degree course

The information we provide below aims to answer the sort of enquiries we receive here in our office.  It is not an exhaustive or complete list of work/employment/positions/qualifications available.  However, we have tried to cover information relating to the majority of questions we are asked regularly.  You should be sure to do your own research.

The 3 routes for gaining professional ‘hands on’ qualifications for working with horses:

1.  British Horse Society

These are the qualifications you need to gain if you are aiming to become a coach, horse trainer, instructor or stable manager. BHS qualifications are recognised internationally and have equivalent standards to other countries/members of the International Group for Equestrian Qualifications (IGEQ)

The route which offers a  lead up to a teaching/coaching qualification (or groom/stable managers qualification) would be via the British Horse Society or in the future via the ABRS (Association of British Riding Schools).

The BHS route for coach/instructor etc., is the Complete Horsemanship pathway.

Neither the BHS or ABRS offer any distance learning qualifications for this type of professional ‘exam’ (now called ‘assessment’).

Some of the colleges also offer BHS training alongside the National Diploma training we discuss below.  The teaching profession is probably the most lucrative of the options in this system of training. Coaches work at riding stables/equestrian centres or as freelance coaches and most earn a little more than the minimum wage but they usually try to to top their wage up by working as a freelance coach on their days off – if the riding school allows – but they need extra insurance for this.

 The ABRS are currently revamping their training system – more info later.

We will mainly discuss the BHS route here because that is the one we are most commonly asked about and is recognised internationally.

All BHS professional  exams are usually called assessments these days. These qualifications enabling you to work hands on with horses, are of a practical nature with no written work. The theory on equine care is questioned orally during the days of the various exams/assessments/BHS assessment days.

The ABRS and BHS professional exams are held at riding centres and colleges in various parts of the country. Alongside them you can  sometimes gain the national UKCC qualifications (UK Coaching Certificates)

Note:  Most of the professional exams are full-on, full day practical riding and or horse management assessment exams (no written work). They command professional level exam entrance fees – it is therefore worth getting the right training – and being aware that you might have to spend time traveling to and from a good training place. An hour and a half would not be unusual – but it is your career you are looking at and the traveling and the time spent training is not something you will have to do forever !

British Horse Society professional route: This link gives you an overview

For your suggested pathway as a riding instructor, as stated earlier, you should opt for the British Horse Society “Complete Horsemanship qualifications” and then take the coaching pathway

First you would need all elements of Stage 1 – then  all elements of Stage 2.  Stage 2 or above is invariably the entry requirement for moving on into other professions within the industry too = e.g. massage, vet physio, behaviourist etc

This  Complete Horsemanship (coach) qualification qualifies you to coach and train people and their horses and will allow you to obtain the all important insurance to teach on a freelance basis – thus also allowing you to take other routes in the future.  This qualification is not likely to help you gain work where a degree is required for an office or on the nutritional side of things – it is the hands on side of working with horses that you are aiming for with these qualifications

Without these qualifications it is unlikely that you would be able to get any professional insurance for working as a professional in a hands on capacity within the equestrian industry – unless working for and employed by a stables which covers you whilst working on their premises

Although the BHS exams/assessments are of a practical nature, the distance learning courses we offer from Lingfield can, provide the majority of the theory knowledge on which you would be questioned orally during those BHS Stages 1 & 2 exams. They are therefore ideal for the mature student who is often working or has a busy life and cannot train full time. Or, they aim to train in future and wish to get the theory knowledge underway before they find the practical training place.

Careers is most equine related therapies such as massage and equine behaviour also require a good grounding in practical and theoretical equine management and many require a degree.  Most qualifications require that the student is already proficient and requires a BHS Stage 2 or Stage 3 as a minimum.  Behavourists and phsychologists also require a related degree.

Part time training: 

Loads of our students are using our courses to train on a part time basis for the professional qualifications and gain the practical training part time locally to them at a local equestrian centre – so you would need to find somewhere for that.


Sometimes this can be set up so that you do a little work on the yard in exchange for training.  The colleges however, are not really suitable to approach for this sort of training – they use a more ‘structured timetable / course’ approach which is not ideal for those with busy lives &/ or a family.

For the part time route where you use a local riding stables however, you do need to choose a centre where they already train their staff or working pupils / students for the riding elements of the Stages though.  It does NOT need to be a listed ‘Training Yard’ however.

You will need to find a yard where there is an instructor who is a qualified assessor to pass you on various aspects of practical work leading up to and prior to the final assessment day with the BHS.  The BHS will send you a ‘Skills Record’ when you first apply for the qualification which must be signed off by your local assessor instructor.  You then put yourself in for the various tests or exams with the BHS when the time comes. (your instructor assessor will probably be able to help you with this)

Search out the BHS website Find a Place to Ride section (not just ‘where to train’) and look for yards with

a) good websites

b) who offer ‘training’ on their website for the BHS exams.

You may find you have to travel for at least an hour or maybe two to find a decent place to train – but if it is for your career training it will be worth traveling costs and time. It is important to find a good place.

Having found one or a selection or stables/centres in your area, check them ALL out by visiting them after you have first made contact by phone (not by email!)

TIP:  Do not email !!  Most equestrian centres get loads of similar emails and phone calls from people looking to get trained as a riding instructor – but few people follow it through.  They therefore don’t take people very seriously unless they sound seriously keen and explain also that they understand that they will have to start at the bottom. Therefore, you need to sound really keen and very serious about it on the phone.  Ask to speak to the person in charge of training – not just the receptionist or groom who answers the phone!  Ask about ‘training for BHS exams’.

When you go there to view any place which sounds as though it will help you, we suggest that you

a) Ask how long as a rule, it takes their junior staff to achieve Stage 1 & 2. (this simply gives you a ball park timescale)

b) Identify the staff and chat to them if at all possible

  • Find out how long they have been there.  Quick turnover of staff is not good.
  • If you are looking for training for a young person or aiming to work full time during your training ask:  Do the staff live in – do they have decent, warm and dry accommodation and do they get any meals cooked for them – they may need to learn how to cook.  Check the accommodation out.
  • What days off do they get (Apprentices of 16/17 should get two consecutive days off)
  • Are they happy – is it a happy yard.

It is important to find this sort of thing out -that way you know if the yard looks after their staff and will do some proper training.  Many yards tell prospective employees that they will train them – but in the final outcome they don’t offer actual training.  They simply offer ‘experience’ on the yard which could be considered ‘training’ in the broadest sense of the word but is not structured or considered to be training by the employee.  

  • Some riding stables / yards offer evening lessons for riding school clients for the Stages exams/assessments
  • Check all centres websites carefully for any  ‘Training’ section.
  • Look at the Enjoy Riding section – do not just look at the BHS ‘Training’ yards.
  • Other yards also ‘train’ but are not necessarily classed only as training yards.  So to be sure to search the ‘where to ride’ or ‘enjoy riding’ on the BHS website and the ABRS site too.

To find ‘approved’ yards in your area, you can  look at this section of the BHS site and put your post code in.  Remember that you might have to travel for over an hour  or more to get decent training but that is not unusual for good career training.  You may also have to take time off work if you work – you will need to put a good amount of time into this – but if you want to change careers you may have to make sacrifices.

Genuinely professional career training and qualification is not something you can undertake in a couple of weeks and it  always take a while and you always have to start at the bottom and work your way up

The ABRS as explained, is unfortunately revamping their training system  but many of their Approved yards also train people for the BHS Stages.  Look on their website too for places near you.

Both organisations are linked from this page on this site 

  • Plenty of people do train on a part time basis. 
  • At least 2 of our tutors did it this way as do hundreds of other coaches. 
  • It is entirely possible to gain good qualifications but it takes a bit longer.
  • You have to put aside the time to do it – and that might also mean traveling quite a long way an paying reasonable money for decent training.

Whichever route you take to gaining a hands on qualification, you will need to get that theory knowledge on equine care under your belt.  You will be questioned on it during your assessments and there is quite a lot of information and knowledge to take on board so we would suggest that taking a distance learning course from Lingfield or somewhere like us (example is the Intermediate Diploma which includes our Levels 1 & 2 courses).  They cannot be professional qualifications because they are all distance learning.  This would however, get some of that theory behind you and get you bang up to date too.  This would be a good stepping stone and would help you get started with your professional training.

Used alongside other part time practical training, gained somewhere more locally to your home base, you would find our courses would help enormously in reaching your final goal of gaining professional qualifications in future. The Reviews section of our site proves this to be true over and over again.

Having gained a professional ‘hands on’ qualification to BHSAI / Stage 3 Level you have achieved good all round equine management, horse training and coaching and could then branch out and specialise in a specific area or discipline if you wished.


A further option for training for coaching qualifications is available via the ABRS with the UKCC qualifications
UKCC qualifications are an option with other disciplines too (carriage driving for instance) and will provide suitable qualifications to obtain the all important insurance for freelance teaching.  The BHS have for some reason dropped the UKCC qualification in the last few years – reason unknown.

Also see our article here on Qualifications Without College



People often ask if there is a good website for vacancies:  Check out the British Grooms Association website for positions available – then look at other equine career companies – recruitment agencies.


2. National Diploma (Levels  1 – 4)

These qualifications are the ‘National Diploma’ Levels 1 – 4 (do not lead to instructors or coaching qualifications). These are invariably City and Guilds land based vocational qualifications – was NTPC and is similar to old NVQ/SNVQ.

This is the type of qualification you need to gain if you are aiming to work in the industry – perhaps as a groom/stable worker.  Although at the higher Level 4 qualification you would perhaps be be considered a manager, but this would take several years. The graded National Diploma in Horse Care is the national government accredited awarding body route leading to national grooms qualifications and apprenticeships.

The training is generally offered by colleges for school leavers – but think carefully before going this route. 

College does NOT suit everyone and the course / qualifications in the end might not lead to any more than a grooms post at a local yard where you would earn the minimum wage.  In fact you could train and earn at the same time rather than going to college if college is not for you.

Training is offered at colleges or whilst working at a stables/yard which has a training relationship with and works with one of the colleges for assessments of work and standards achieved.

Be aware that this route does not have a pathway to gaining teaching qualifications or professional rider qualifications.  Neither the colleges or yards offer any distance learning training or route for this type of professional qualification – they are all hands on training.

Some of the stables/yards offer apprenticeships for younger students

Apprenticeships once again means the young person is working towards the ‘National Diplomas’.   This qualifies you as a groom – a person who knows and understands horses and has a good all round education in horse care.  The posts available on completion are usually a groom on minimum wage.  To find out more on the Apprenticeship system check this link for general information.  The British Grooms Association has list of positions which might be of interest.

Example from the City & Guilds website – The Level 1 Certificate in Equine Skills has been designed to provide a level 1 qualification practical equine skills, to meet the needs of learners, industry and other stakeholders.  To gain the Level 1 Certificate in Equine Skills candidates must complete five core units plus one optional unit which takes about 231 hours of guided learning – often over 1-2 yrs. The following are required units:

  • Handling horses under direction
  • Feeding and watering horses under direction
  • Mucking out and bedding down horses under direction
  • Grooming horses under direction
  • Putting on and removing horse rugs under direction.


3.  The third option is via the British Grooms Association.

This is the type of qualification you need to gain if you are aiming to be a professional groom and maybe work with competition riders:  This is the qualification we would suggest to anyone who does not wish to take the BHS route.

They offer a very strong and professional grooms qualification with specific yards via the Llantra accrediting route.  The sort of grooms we are talking about here are quite often those who work for top riders and travel with international competitors BUT they are not all so lucky.  See the British Grooms Association website for details of their Equine Skills CV (ESCV).  Ask your employer or your prosepctive employer if they might be interested in getting involved in offering professional grooms training via the British Grooms Association / Llantra.  Suggest the employer checks the site out and mention Lingfield Equine Distance Learning.  The BGA are very helpful so ring and chat to them.


4.  The Degree course

We always suggest people do some research on the internet regarding degree courses – e.g. try this horse an hound forum giving personal feedback from those with degrees:

The degree courses provide you with the qualifications required to gain a position where your academic skills can be used.  This is invariably an office or technical position where the sciences are a required subject – along with a good standard of education as a whole.

Such degrees would mean you are eligible to apply for positions as equine nutritionists with feed manufacturers (or on a freelance basis if you found sufficient demand) or as equestrian journalist, a racing yard secretary or a lecturer at an equine college, research and development at a university, a Racing Yard Secretary etc. etc.  The job market for equine degree students is in fact very limited.

Nutritionists hold such degrees as described above and work mainly for the big feed companies so the positions are fairly limited.  They often work with the companies as support for the manufacturing side of things but more often prepare sales and marketing information related to the technical side of feeds. They may be required to visit retailers to provide information or assistance – they also may be called upon to give assistance to Pony Club children or Riding Clubs on occasion – this is comes under marketing and is all relevant to the marketing of the products for that company.  They are often on call on the phone for help lines in the offices of larger feed companies – but that is usually just one small part of their office work time. View this link for an insight

Journalists work for media companies – they spend a lot of time at their desk researching and contacting people and some of their time is taken with writing articles in the hope they will be published in magazines or on website. They must be aware of the law relating to journalism.  Once again they would be involved in marketing the magazine.  Most would be employed in the office whilst some might have the opportunity to interview people.  However, time spent out and about would be limited.  View this link for an insight

The racing yard secretary – insight

Part time Leturer at an equine college – insight

Equine Behviourist – insight into training

Share this Page